Wednesday 6 April 2011

My Feeders

A brief delay between my first and second posts, due to the complete collapse of my old PC! So, armed with a brand new one, let's begin with a complete list of the bird feeders and feeding stations in my small to middle-sized garden (say, 1 to 1.5 tennis courts?).

First, two bird tables, both made by my late father-in-law Joe, who probably loved woodworking more than birds, but did like to watch them on his own table. These are usually supplied with RSPB Table Seed, in fact everything I feed the birds is usually from the RSPB - helps the birds twice over if you buy their feed, and I know it's better quality than a lot of alternatives, and preferred by the birds, in my experience. Go to RSPB Bird Food to see what they sell. The table with the spiky roof (right) is nearer the house and has a bigger gap so is often visited by pigeons and doves. The older one (left) is opposite our apple tree halfway down the garden and gets more of the smaller species (especially sparrows and dunnocks), and I often add "sprinkles" to that one, these are high energy suet treats - they don't last long!
Next, hanging from the apple tree is my biggest feeder, an 8-port seed feeder filled with Feeder Mix Extra (the "extra" is sunflower hearts, husk-free oats, canary seed and red millet, apparently) which is much favoured by chaffinches and greenfinches. I'm convinced that I've helped raised several generations of both by my feeding over the years. I've also seen great, coal, blue and long-tailed tits visiting this one when they can fight their way through the finches. Once in a while a robin will try it too, though they seem to prefer ground feeding or the tables. Nearby is a hanging table on which I put Ground Mix and sprinkles (and try to remember to top up the water dish in it too). Like the tables this is easily accessed by pigeons and doves, and may have to be replaced by something more restricted to smaller birds, although not too small as the blackbirds seem to like this feeder.

Further along the tree is a good old fashioned peanut feeder, this doesn't need refilling much but at least one blue tit is a regular. On an opposite branch is another peanut feeder, but filled with suet-based Fruity Nibbles instead, and this needs refilling almost daily as it's a favourite with a large number of squabbling starlings! If I didn't buy in bulk they'd probably eat me out of house and home, bless 'em. Some people dismiss them as "just" starlings, but they have a beautiful sheen on their wings and more character than dozens of other birds put together, so I love them. Blame Pam Ayres - see Pam's poem in another wildlife blog here. They also love the fat balls and various suet cakes (square and round) that get distributed round the tree - as does an occasional woodpecker (above).

Lastly  as far as the tree goes there's a nyjer seed feeder, which the goldfinches have at last got used to and started to feed from regularly. I tried the RSPB's mini-feeder first to test the waters (so to speak) and see if there were goldfinches around, with no luck. Then we started growing teasels, and they attracted the goldfinches, so I tried a full size nyjer feeder and over time they've started accepting it, although they still love the natural food the teasels provide as well. I've also had siskins on this one, and for some reason a dove tries it from time to time!

Then nearer the house there's an artistic-looking metal stand with a smaller 2-port seed-feeder on one side and another peanut feeder on the other, both of which seems to be the preferred port of call for more blue-tits. The little feeder needs refilling a lot, I suspect this is actually because a dove has managed to work out how to feed from this and is very greedy. At least one greenfinch has eaten from this little feeder too, though - see right.

Last and probably least, I've added a third small feeder and a fat ball holder on some lantern holders next to one of the bird tables (you can see them in the picture of the table at the top on the right), these are very low and not much visited, but they're what I take with me on visits to Center Parcs (of which more in another post, I predict) to attract the birds to the villa patio (not that they need much encouragement). At home they've had nothing more spectacular than a dunnock (who tends to prefer feeding on the ground from spills from the feeder above rather than the feeder itself). When at Center Parcs it's had woodpeckers and nuthatches, much more exciting!

And finally, I also spread some Ground Mix on the lawn beneath the apple tree, which the blackbirds, chaffinches and occasional thrush appreciate - but again the majority seems to get wolfed down by the pigeons. I try to like them, I really do, and remind myself that they are birds too, but I can't help myself thinking of them as rats with wings, and also feeling that they can find plenty of other rubbish to eat out in the street from discarded takeaways. Why can't they leave the expensive stuff for the little birds? It's illogical, I know, but there it is. Measures may have to be taken soon to create a ground feeding sanctuary that will only allow anything blackbird sized or smaller to enjoy my bounty.

Happy feeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment